The Mountain.

She brushed the hair from her eyes and gave me that devilish grin. The kinda smile a woman does when you belong to her. I saw the mountain silhouette behind her as I stared into those fantastic green eyes.
"Are you ready?" She prodded with the same smile.
I took in a long breathe of air.
"Ready as I'll ever be." I responded.
That was a lie. I was scared shitless and was just trying to be agreeable.

A few weeks earlier, my friend  and I had decided to spend a week in the mountain range below mount Blackburn. I say "friend" because we weren't quite official yet. I guess we were seeing each other though. What the hell, who knows?

The mountain range was undeniably beautiful. It was absolutely breathtaking. The long slopes would reflect the spilling sunlight and it would make you feel that you were in a painting.  Near the bottom of the basin, there were towering pines and spruces. It was all about colors. Green trees, orange and red sunsets. The deep blue lakes and the soft baby blue skies. White cotton clouds would drift away and it was absolutely stunning.

Don't let it fool you.

This mountain range claimed two lives this year already. Under its spectacular views and vistas, was jagged rock faces and sheer cliffs. Rock climbers from all over the world would come to the famous Alta Cre rock face. It was a challenging  system for even the most skilled climbers. And more than that, there are caverns, crevices, and cave systems that sprinkle all across the range.  In some parts of the forest, it is so thick that one can lose their way in less than five minuets. The  Mount Blackburn forest is so vast and remote that you would never know if you are in new territory, seeing things for the first time. Every turn and bend might be something new. That's what we were going for. The exploring. The experience.
There is something about that feeling of seeing something for the first time. Feeling that you are claiming that view. No one else can have it. You earned it. You made the sacrifice to take it.

Anyways, she was beautiful. I was glad I was going with her. She was an expert and had been doing solo treks for years.

I met her one morning  grabbing a coffee from a small ma' and pop cafe.  She was intriguing from the moment i laid eyes on her. Tan skin and slender. You could tell she had muscle and was well defined. It was her smile and eyes though. She had a smile that pierced you deep down; the kind that you can feel and not just see. Then those eyes man. I swear to God they are the prettiest things I have ever seen. She has a special shade of green to them that words can't describe.  She was intense but soft.  Captivating. I loved it.

Don't let her fool you.

She is a woman of depth. A rocky past that could be daunting. She's experienced pain and sadness. A streak of anger that can come out during her worst times. Her mind is like a trap and doesn't let anything get past her. She's wild and free. No one can hold her back or keep her down. That's the scary thing, the fact that she doesn't need you. She's been by herself and manages perfectly. All you are is an addendum. Maybe an after thought. She is a woman of passion. She can passionately scold, rebuke or or tell you how it is. But she can fiercely, passionately love you.


Those are the eyes. Just like the mountain. Beautiful but so much more than an inspiring painting. Rough and calloused. Soft and velvet. Full of colors.

She is the mountain.

And I am lucky enough to have the experience.

Comments

Popular Posts